In 2006, Ohio Vedic Homes was formed in Canton, Ohio to acquire the 60-acre Lake O' Springs Resort located in Jackson Township, Stark County, Ohio. Its goal is to develop approximately 12 acres on the SE corner of the lake for the building of two new cul-de-sacs and plat 25 new lots for sale as single-family residential housing. This Phase has been substantially completed. Minor work remains as part of the maintenance agreement with Stark County Regional Planning. Other remaining work includes installation of street lamps in the two boulevard islands, building of entrance monuments (signs) and installion of several culverts and driveway entrances to facilitate access across ditches.
The new residential community is planned to be health-oriented. In addition to deed-recorded rights to use the 26-acre lake for recreation, a one-mile walking path around the lake, and a common area marina/picnic shelter, residents will have available a yoga center offering both the physical and mental forms of yoga training. Residences are planned to be Vedic-green, offering the latest technology of healthy-green homes.
Starting in the 1920's, the lake property operated as a private commercial lake resort. Services offered included fishing, boating, swimming and wading, bathing, picnicking, a snack bar, dancing, camping, summer camp for kids, one of Ohio's first miniature golf course, and sports fields for baseball and softball, tennis, badminton, and shuffleboard. The lake changed hands several times until the 1970s.
In the mid-1800's the NW & SW quarters of Section 14, Jackson Township belonged to John Braucher. He finished building his log home in 1846. It's address was 5858 Chermont NW, Canton, OH 44718. Around 1907, the Braucher family built a rental house facing Lake O' Springs Avenue NW and rented it to the Brown family. The house was sold to the Browns after a few years. Later, descendants of Braucher built the levy for lake O' Springs (around 1917 to 1920). Lake O' Springs became a well know picnicking and fishing resort for the next 90 years. It is still a superb bass lake.
In ancient days, evidenced as much as 12,000 years ago, Jackson Township of Stark County, Ohio was teeming with wildlife and has shown some strong evidence of native Paleo-Indian settlements. Much of the residency was probably seasonal, following elk and mastodon herds.
At least two mastodons have been unearth within miles of Lake O' Springs. Nearby Nobles Pond is an Ice Age pond which produced over 20,000 artifacts from a brief dig conducted before the land was developed. Although no evidence of Indian artifacts has been found in recent environmental surveys of the property, the Lake O' Springs property is certainly a good candidate for ancient Indian camping and hunting, with bottom lands that would have been rich in springs and a variety of plants and animal life.
Copyright @ Ohio Vedic Homes, LLC 2017. All Rights Reserved. Design by Indian River Graphics
Last Updated February 2017